Wednesday 24 July 2013

recipe of medu vada

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Soaking time: 3 hours
Total time: 3:25 hours

medu vada
Medu Vada
Medu vada is special traditional south Indian dish. Whenever, I eat medu vada at that time I just think how to cook medu vada????? What are the ingredients used for making medu vada???? But now, I got the clear idea about medu vada and its ingredients. It’s really easy to cook at home. It’s so simple and quick dish.


When I was studied on 10th standard at that time I just love to eat street food. Every day, after completion of our tuition classes we all were ready to go for snacks. One day, birthday of my friend and she just want to eat south Indian dish because she loves it so much. She told us that, “Today, I want to give my birthday party with south Indian food”. We were ready to enjoy party with south Indian food and cheer up for birthday girl.

So many times I tasted and enjoyed Idli, Dhosa, Uttapam but never tried for medu vada with my family. So, I just told her, “Today, I want to eat medu vada” because I really want to get real taste of it. At that time, I was too much little for identifying real ingredients used in it. So, I just become dam crazy for making medu vada at my home because of its good taste. In short, it was 1st time when I ate medu vada with my friends. After completion of birth day party, I reached at my home and told to my mom and dad that “today I ate medu vada, its really nice taste and I want to learn how to cook it at home and which types of ingredients used in it.”

After long time, one day I went at market with my big brother.  We both want to eat something. Suddenly, my brother told me, “Let’s eat idly”. I told him, “Oh yes!!!!! But, I want to eat medu vada”. On that day, I was realizing that urad dal is the main ingredients for medu vada.  I just met to shop keeper and ask him, “Is there urad dal used in medu vada????” He replied me yes.

I was so happy on that day and also ready to do medu vada at my home. On last Sunday, I just think what to do for dinner? Suddenly, medu vada comes into my mind. I just stand up and goes to the kitchen for find out urad dal.

It was my first experience to cook medu vada at my home. I learn one thing that Its most important to put more focus on consistency of better of urad dal.  We need thick better to make a round shape of medu vada. Trust me, it’s so simple and easy recipe to cook medu vada. It’s also cook within 30 minutes.  For crunchy flavor of medu vada, you can add rice flour in the better of urad dal. It gives delicious crunchiness to medu vada. I hope you can also enjoy this traditional south Indian dish medu vada with coconut chutney and sambhar and impress your family members. 

Ingredients:
1. 1/2 cup urad dal (white urad dal)
2. 1 glass of water
3. Salt taste wise
4. 3 - 4 green chilies
5. 1/2 inch ginger
6. 1/2 teaspoon black paper powder
7. 1 teaspoon red chili powder
8. 1 teaspoon coriander powder
9. 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
10. Oil for deep fry

Recipe:
1. Wash urad dal and soak it into water for 3 - 4 hours.
urad dal for medu vada
Wash & soak Urad dal

2. Now, Take a mixer bowl, Add coriander leaves, green chilies and ginger in it and make smooth pest of its.
3. Drain excess water from urad dal.
urad dal pest
make pest of urad dal
4. Take a mixer bowl, add urad dal green chili pest, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, asafoetida powder in it and make a thick pest of its. (Note: You can add rice flour for making thick better, if necessary.)
6. Now, apply water on your hand and take 1 tbsp mixture of urad dal.
mixture of medu vada
mixture of medu vada
7. Give it round shape and make a hole with the help of thumb in the center of it.
make hole in madu vada
make hole by using thumb
8. Now, fry medu vada in heat oil on medium flame till it become golden brown.
fry medu vada
Fry medu vada in heat oil
9. Now, transfer it to a paper napkin and serve hot hot medu vada with coconut chutney and sambhar.

Tip: You can sprinkle chat masala on medu vada. So, you can eat medu vada without sambhar.
recipe of medu vada
Last Reviewed by Yogesh Sonani
Rating: 4.5

3 comments:

  1. I like this food.. I am a foodies so, search many things on net I found two more links are awesome 1st is http://www.cityshor.com/ - Ahmedabad Best Restaurants
    and 2nd is http://www.tummyrats.com/ - Find best dishes at restaurants in Ahmedabad, you know? you can also upload your dish too..

    Hope you like it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete

Plzzz Comment Here.........